Sunday, August 18, 2013

Lupines

Today Sharon and I went up to Left hand reservoir.  I've been thinking about painting some wildflowers, and finally got my chance today. I used a grey canvas and started directly into the color. This is a bit different than I am use to working, but it still turned out pretty good.

This is my second painting this morning. I didn't like it when I finished, but it is looking pretty good to me now.

Here is Sharon getting started. We really had a beautiful place to paint today.
 
 Earlier in the week, I painted this from an old figure drawing. I wanted to get some practice painting in this method of straight Burnt Umber in the shadows and burnt umber and white on the lit side. All of this is done on a grey canvas.
 this is from Weds. night. I used the same technique as described above with some color added on the pillow and robe just for fun.

Friday, I painted this from a black and white photo my uncle took of me when I was just a little shaver.  I tried using some suggestions my friend Jim gave me, using cool colors for shapes going away from me and warm colors on the shapes coming toward me. I used straight Yellow ocher, cad red, Alizerian Crimson and Ultramarine blue.

This is another mono chromatic painting of a good friend of mine, Dave.




No comments: