Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Paintings from New Mwxico

This is my painting from last weeks Weds. night figure painting. If you look close you can see some pretty strong blues and reds in the shadows.

I went to New Mexico this past weekend to visit my Aunt and Uncle. They have all sorts of really cool stuff including sculls, antiques, native American relics, and other works of art. This cow scull is on their front porch. I think it is sitting on a wagon bench. Notice the cool color of the bone on the lit side.

This is the third of three paintings I did this day. I set up on the edge of this deserted town.It turned out to be not quite as deserted as I first thought. I had several people stop and compliment me on my painting. That felt nice.

 This is the second of the same day. I set up on the berm of the road going by this church. It was early enough that the traffic wasn't too bad. This turned out quite well. The values all seem to be working well with each other.

This was the first of that same day. It was very early so the light changed very fast. I was not happy with it at all and was not going to post it, but time has somehow made it look better to me. I like the splash of sunlight out in the distance.

This is another scene from my Aunt and Uncles. I got this start early one morning and was planning on finishing it another day, but it was wet every morning after this changing the whole feeling of the scene, so I left it as is. I think it works pretty well.
Driving home yesterday I stopped along a really lonely stretch of highway and painted this. I absolutely love this part of New Mexico. Living in the Denver area I get so worn out by the constant stream of people. So, when I get to a place like this, I breath a huge sigh of relief.



No comments: